loader image

The Insulation Situation: One Year Left for landlords to comply

5b982f06105bc2471627e939 Rentals Insulation
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest

Landlords are being reminded to insulate before it’s too late. The Residential Tenancies Amendment Bill and Healthy Homes Guarantee are the pieces of legislation enforcing greater insulation standards for all rental homes and new builds.

MBIE has been reminding landlords and property managers they have until July 1 2019 to meet the new requirements. Here’s an introduction:

  • Rental properties (that don’t currently meet minimum levels of insulation) will need to be insulated to a level that is the same as the current building code insulation requirements for new homes.
  • Landlords must make all reasonable efforts to find out what insulation is in their rental property. This includes physically looking, engaging a professional to do an assessment, or checking the council building file and filling in any shortcomings in the property’s insulation.
  • Insulation statements must be included in all new tenancy agreements. Landlords must disclose whether there is insulation in the rental home, where it is, what type and what condition it is in
  • A landlord who does not make a complete insulation statement or includes anything they know to be false may be liable for a penalty of up to $500.

If you would like an easy-to-use insulation statement to include in your information for tenants, click the following to download one: https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/assets/Forms-templates/insulation-statement.pdf.

Your main guide to the new requirements is the following: https://www.tenancy.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Insulation-requirements.pdf

Homeowners with Community Services Cards, or living in an area deemed as lower-income are eligible for grants covering 67% of the cost of ceiling and underfloor insulation.

‍FAQs for landlords

Q.  How do I find a member of the Insulation Association?

A.  Click through to this directory, for a start. Alternatively, try Google Map My Business for insulation services in your area.

Q. What if I have existing underfloor insulation from before July 2016?

A. Check to see if it’s still thick enough. Where existing insulation is damaged, degraded, missing or incomplete, new non-electrically conductive underfloor insulation must be installed with an R-value of at least R 1.3 from 1 July 2016.

Q. What does the R-value of my insulation mean?

A. R-value means resistance value. It is a measure of resistance to heat flow through a given thickness of material. The higher the R-value, the greater that resistance. Pink Batts, for example, tend to range from 1.6 to 7.0 R-value, while wood tends to be 0.81 R-value and single pane glass 0.16.

For questions around getting insulation up to scratch swiftly, cheaply, efficiently and meeting the standard, give the friendly folks at Rental Experts a ring.

Phone 09 4597139

PO Box 5043, 9-11 Reyburn St, Whangarei